Background and Artists Statement
- Weaver, spinner, dyer.
- I consider life as a work of art – the process of creating a unique environment, personally designed and crafted - embellishing daily life with beautiful textiles.
- Working with fibers is intensely satisfying. I love to begin with fiber at a point, early in its existence, and develop it into the finished product. We have even raised our own sheep and flax at times, although there is not always enough time or land to do this on a regular basis.
- Traditional techniques and fibers form the base platform. My goal is to produce beautiful, decorative items, fulfilling a functional need in a way that is also personally fulfilling.
- Association with Klaus Tidow, curator Textile Museum Neumunster, Germany (ret.) and founder of NESAT, 1983-1990
- Association with Freilicht Museum Kiel-Molfsee – Dr. Carl I. Johanson, Fr. Gabrielle Reher, 1984-1990
- Association with Fr. Marlies Becker, Master weaver and Fr. Etta Bahn, Journeyman weaver – 1984-1990
- Flax Processing Seminar, Simone Schoeneberger-Straub, Bremen, Germany – 1984
- Various Wisconsin guild workshops – 1991 – 2000
- Drawloom instruction – Joanne Halll – 2005
- TC-1 Jacquard weaving classes – Pat Williams, Eastern Michigan University – 2005-2007 (waiting for last class to be offered to complete certificate).
- Training in Pointcarre – NY office, 2009
- Jacquard Training and fabric design - Oriole Mill - 2010
- Jacquard Workshop Convergence/RISD - 2014
1980-1990 – living in Osterroenfeld, Germany
- Spinning and weaving classes at the Volkshochschule, in Rendsburg, Germany
- Demonstrated weaving at the Freilicht Museum Kiel-Molfsee in Kiel, Germany – a large open air museum
1994 to present – living in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- Spinning classes at UW Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- Workshop at Midwest Weavers Conference, Milwaukee, WI – topic weaving with linen
- Flax demonstrations at various events, most recently Wisconsin Sheep and Wool 2006
- Basic weaving workshops at art center, Shake Rag Alley, Mineral Point, Wisconsin, 2006
- Classes at various Wisconsin Spin In’s – weaving and spinning with linen, intermediate weaving – most recently Oct. 2009
- Seminar presentations at Complex Weavers Seminars, Tampa 2008 – History of the Drawloom, Industrialization of Textile Production Prior to the Industrial Revolution
- Basic Weaving and Basic Drafting classes at Midwest Folk and Fiber, IL – 2008, 2009
- Individual instruction in knitting, spinning and weaving at own business – The Woolgatherers in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- Seminars at CW Seminars, Albuquerque 2010 and Convergence, Albuquerque 2010 - Topic: Designing for Ondule Reeds
Handweavers Guild of America
Damask Weavers Network
Fond du Lac Artists Association
Wisconsin Handweavers – since 1990*, 2009 as featured fiber artist, 2010*
Celebration of Creativity – Whitewater Weavers Guild – 2000 – 2006, 2010*
Wisconsin Spin In – since mid 1990’s*
Blue Ridge Show - 200*4, 2006, 2010*
Midwest Weavers - 1994
Damask Network, Stickhausen, Germany – 2006, 2014
Midwest Folk and Fiber – 2008, 2013
Fond du Lac Artists Assoc - 2013*, 2014*